I hope you guys don’t mind indulging me these last two days, because I’m going to post a weird assortment of mt favorite TR memories. This means lists will be short, but hopefully I can do a couple a day. First up: My favorite Topless Robot Daily Lists. I started doing lists on TR from the very beginning, knowing that lists were the Internet’s favorite food and hoping that eventually a few of them would get noticed and passed around, and thus bring new readers to the site. This is very much what happened.
8) 10 Disney Characters Yet to Be Ruined by Rule 34 by Ethan Kaye (April 8th, 2011)
My favorite part about this is that TR‘s infamy in the erotic fan artist world cause caused all these characters to get pornographic art drawn of them within the week. One enterprising soul put them all in one picture. Don’t go looking for it
7) Firefly’s 15 Best Chinese Curses (And How to Say Them) by James Daniels (November 4th, 2010)
Likely the most useful list TR has ever run.
6) 14 Reasons Why Batman’s My Dream Man by Jill Pantozzi (December 2nd, 2010)
I’m really proud of this one, not just because Jill’s a great writer, but because it’s exactly that kind of traditional male nerd purview (“10 Reasons Why Emma Frost Is a Better Girlfirend than Jean Grey!”) but written from a nerd girl’s point of view, complete with all the salacious detail these things normally entail. I wish I’d had more of these.
5) The 5 Reasons Luke Skywalker Is a Complete Idiot by Shaun Clayton (Oct 22nd, 2008)
Not only was this list hilarious, but it got some people so mad that they had to write in lengthy diatribe defending a fictional character from our vicious attacks. I love when that happens.
4) The 12 Harlots of the Dungeons & Dragons Random Harlot Table Explained by Rob Bricken (June 20th, 2008)
One of the (very) few lists that I wrote, mostly because I was (and am) obsessed with the D&D Random Harlots Table.
3) The 10 Most Insane, Mind-Warping Moments of ’80s Cartoons by Todd Ciolek (March 25th, 2008)
Another early list that helped establish what Topless Robot was about — pointing out how goofy the things we love can be. Todd
2) The 10 Star Wars Toy That Unintentionally Look Like Other Celebrities by Zach Oat (February 5th, 2008)
Back in my ToyFare days, we all noticed how the Dengar Star Wars figure looked weirdly like Johnny Cash. So when TR began in January of 2008, it wasn’t long before my boss Bill — who worked with me at TF — remembered this fact, and we decided to make it a list. Obviously, I had to hire my long-time ToyFare editor and my great friend Zach Oat to write it, and the result was a list that defined what I wanted TR to be from the very beginning.
1) The 20 Nerd Commandments by Rob Bricken (January 27th, 2010)
Admittedly, this list was mostly written by you guys during the “Nerd Commandments” contest. But I realized we’d kind of stumbled upon something great here, and rather than just post the results, I assembled it to an actual lists of things we nerds live by (or should live by). It’s not gotten as much play as The Pok?mon Story of my Transformers 2 FAQ, but if I had one page to leave as a legacy, this would be it.